magyar moon

magyar moon

Saturday, July 25, 2015

FUHRER WITH A PALETTE

This is a collection of paintings and drawings by a young Adolph Hitler.

The early artistic chapter in his life is often overlooked because of the later madness and mayhem of his dictatorship.

As an artist, he was largely self-taught. His two attempts to enroll at the Vienna Academy of Fines Arts were refused (in 1907 and 1908), and he was bluntly informed of his "unfitness for painting." He later earned a meager living selling his paintings on the streets of Vienna.

Hitler's artistic output consists of nearly 3,000 known paintings, watercolors, and drawings. 




























An unfinished painting
curiously signed before completion

6 comments:

  1. Like these, especially the pansies in a vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are lovely. He had a creative eye for art.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if I should be concerned that I like several of these ... particularly the moonscape and courtyard scene immediately following. Do you know what became of the originals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about those two particular paintings. Many of Hitler's paintings are privately owned and a vast number have gone up for auction. Some have fetched nearly half a million bucks. I discovered a website that is selling his sketches for about $5,000 apiece.

    During WWII the U.S. Army seized about 650 of Hitler's paintings and they have never been shown publicly.
    I heard that they're at the Army Center for Military History.......wherever that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The third one down intrigues me. And the fourth one down stills my heart.That is bothersome to me, more than you know. Really it is. I am going to go out on a limb here, and say apparently, he sniffed too many paint fumes, in his younger days and the cumulative effect, made him the lunatic he became. I mean is there any logical explanation for such an artistic soul to become such a diabolical monster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if a contemporary art critic could objectively evaluate his work today. It appears that he used different mediums (I could be wrong) From what extremely little I know about artists, I believe that is unusual.
    And now I have to go research the Army Center of Military History...

    ReplyDelete