magyar moon

magyar moon

Thursday, August 6, 2015

MARILYN MONROE

Yesterday marked 53 years since the death of Marilyn Monroe (1 June, 1926 - 5 August, 1962).

In honor of this fallen star and Hollywood icon, I'm posting some photos from my MM files.

Marilyn and her mother Gladys






Marilyn age twelve








          
before surgery left
and after surgery right 

In 1949, Marilyn had two plastic surgery procedures - a nose job and chin implant - which were paid for by her agent Johnny Hyde. The surgery wasn't radical, but it served to refine and perfect her features.















Calendar photo by Tom Kelley 1949
Kelley took a series of 24 nude photos of Marilyn (at that time she used the name Mona Monroe). The photo session took two hours and it was supervised by Kelley's wife. Hugh Hefner, founder of Playboy, purchased the photos in 1953.









from Niagara 1953





















from the photo shoot by Bert Stern
at the Bel Air Hotel in June, 1962




One of the last photos of Marilyn, taken on July 13, 1962 at Santa Monica Beach. The photographer was George Barris.

18 comments:

  1. I have never seen some of these photos before. there will never be another marilyn.

    one thought - look at the june 1962 pix and then the july 1962 pix. did she age 10 years in one month's time, or was it the makeup?

    kim krapdashian or lindsay lohan have NOTHING on MM and NEVER will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lighting may have a lot to do with her appearance also.

      Delete
    2. I think the natural outdoor lighting had a lot to do with the difference in how she looked. Also, for those outdoor shots, she didn't have any professional makeup.

      Delete
  2. Some wonderful photos there Jon. many of which I have not seen before. The one in which she wears the large hat is especially beguiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo with the hat has always been one of my favorites.

      Delete
  3. she will always be
    one of a kind
    I don't think she needed
    nude photos
    to get ahead
    her eyes
    her lips
    her inside...
    my Mum likes her
    I'll have to ask her why
    she does

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was definitely one of a kind. There were many imitations, but nobody could compare to MM.

      Delete
  4. Ditto what Anne Marie said about Kim and Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim and Lindsey are rank amatures compared to MM.

      Delete
  5. This is a wonderful and considerate collection of photos, Jon. They show her as an adorable child, then as a beautiful woman who worked very hard to do a good job as a performer --a vulnerable human presented with dignity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo, I have so many MM photos that I didn't know which ones to choose.
      Considering what a horrible childhood she had, it's extremely admirable that she became so incredibly successful.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Okay, George Barris, I thought I recognized the name, he was moving is fast circles on more then four wheels

      Delete
    2. I just discovered that the custom car George Barris is a different person from the photographer George Barris. The Barris who photographed Marilyn moved to Paris after she died, where he lived for 20 years.

      Delete
  7. Great photo collection Jon. All the pics you have put on this blog site have been so incredible and interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and I'm really glad that you enjoy the photos. I have so many photos in my files that's it's always difficult to choose.

      Delete
  8. Great pictures! I wouldn't have even recognized her in some of those shots.

    That nude photo you posted... THAT'S the one that hung in my father's closet for all those years. Now I'm not sure if it actually came from the magazine or from a calendar. But it's definitely the same picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not certain about the history of those nude photos. I think they were used on a calendar first and then later appeared in a magazine.
      It's amazing that it was in your Dad's closet all those years.

      Delete