magyar moon

magyar moon

Monday, September 28, 2015

GEORGE HURRELL Part Two

This is a continuation of my previous post. More photos from the Golden Age of Hollywood by master portrait photographer George Hurrell (1904-1992).

 George Hurrell
1938

Dolores Del Rio
1929

Ramon Novarro
rare and striking portrait
from 1929

Greta Garbo
1930
from the film Romance





 Norma Shearer
1932
A remarkably modern-looking photo
I checked the year several times to make sure it is correct



Jean Harlow
early 1930's


Alice Fay
1934


Shirley Temple
1937
(Alice Fay was in two of Temple's films, if I remember correctly, Poor Little Rich Girl and The Stowaway)


 Nils Asther
circa 1933
Danish-born actor
appeared in silent films and talkies


 Maureen O'Sullivan
1932
the original Jane in the Tarzan films
and mother of actress Mia Farrow



Johnny Weissmuller
1932

 Joan Crawford
Hurrell took so many classic photos of Crawford that it's impossible to choose.
I prefer the casual early Joan, without the heavy eyebrows and shoulder pads.


Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
1938
First husband of Joan Crawford


Rosalind Russell


Robert Montgomery
Gave a superb performance as the psychotic killer in one of my favorite films, Night Must Fall (with Rosalind Russell), 1937.
 Montgomery is the father of actress Elizabeth Montgomery, of Bewitched.

 Bette Davis
1939


Judy Garland
around 1941




Errol Flynn
1939


Humphrey Bogart
1937


Lauren Bacall


Marlene Dietrich
1937

 Lawrence Olivier



 
Veronica Lake


Lucille Ball



 Jane Russell
1941
promotional photo for the film The Outlaw

Rare photo of George Hurrell 
during a photo shoot with Jane Russell



















10 comments:

  1. oooooooooooh, you included 2 of my 3; weren't bogie & bacall a good looking couple?

    this set was harder to guess without scrolling down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough, I couldn't find any photos of Audrey Hepburn taken by Hurrell. I'm certain that they exist, because he photographed everybody.
      I'll keep looking.....

      Delete
  2. Almost without exception, I'm drawn to these subjects' mouths ... Hurrell was truly superb!
    I especially liked that first shot of Del Rio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of red lipstick applied in the 1940's......(and 50's). Hurrell was truly superb, and I'm sure that....someday....I'll have a Part Three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon, the technical perfection of Geo. Hurrell's portraits continues to amaze me. The lighting, selective focus, poses and detail are flawless. He set the bar pretty high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know very little about photography but I was always fascinated by Hurrell's use of lighting. He had an incredible sense of artistic perception.....and perfection.

      Delete
  5. I instantly recognized entirely too many of the people in these photos. Must be getting old.

    When I was in my early teens, I wore my hair like Veronica Lake. You know, that one eye partially hidden by a sweep of hair? Drove my mother nuts. She was forever wanting to shove a barrette into my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always able to recognize the stars of the Golden Age, but ironically I don't know any of the current celebrities. I like the Veronica Lake look.

      Delete