magyar moon

magyar moon

Saturday, October 15, 2016

OLD HALLOWEEN ADS

I should probably properly call them vintage or retro ads, but they're just plain ol' ads to me. I love anything to do with old-fashioned Halloweens.
These are in no particular order, but I did try to put the very oldest ones first. 















"Gay revels"



"There is witchery in candy"
1920's





 For all those severed arteries you'll incur while carving jack-o-lanterns

It helps pool the dripping blood

the Dionne quintuplets


 A weeny witch party!
Heck, I've been to a few of those in Hollywood... 



Dorothy Lamour

 Nothing says Halloween like a pumpkin made of Jell-O (1952 ad)

Enough sugar in two quarts to kill a dozen kids

 Does anybody remember Fizzies? It was kinda like Alka-Seltzer, with a sweet twist. When I was a kid, you didn't need to add sugar to Fizzies. It was already in the tablet. This must be an older ad.

If Aunt Jenny's cake is anything like the Halloween cake that Alice B. Toklas made, I'll take it!

1954 ad


 

10 comments:

  1. I remember Fizzies. The ones we had were also pre-sweetened. I don't think any advertiser today could get away with promoting candy, sugar and Karo syrup to a health conscious society. The way the mother is holding the knife in the band-aid ad is positively frightening. Looks more like she's getting ready to disembowel herself than slice the pumpkin.
    For the record, I did not look at your last posting here because you indicated it might cause bad dreams. I have enough of those without any help. I'm not a person who likes to be scared so I can't wait for this month to be over. There are way too many horror movies being shown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "eat candy for energy" - OF COURSE! :)

    "what's really good finds its way everywhere" - hmmmm, are they talking about man meat? ;-)

    why didn't that woman use the knife on her brats?

    I remember pre-sweetened fizzies too - root beer flavor and strawberry flavor. the grape kool aid came unsweetened; grandmom used to buy me both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only swear by Ipswich hosiery of course. And I'm am using me wax paper to crave my pumpkins tomorrow. I was thinking of you today, as tonight I'm going to a classical music concert, well....a quartet really to a cemetery!!!!! I guess a first for everything. I hear its pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do! I do! Loved to watch the Fizzies, but the taste honestly sucked.
    That Edison Photograph Company card is pretty neat ... and Ipswich hosiery? I still wish there were more occasions to wear hose and heels and not be looked at like a weird-o by my much-younger counterparts.

    My maternal grandmother had little-to-nothing to bequeath, but I'm desperately in love with her oversize scrapbook devoted to the Dionne quints. I think she had almost a celebrity crush on them. I did, as well, before growing up and realizing the travesty that was their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago I did a post about Grandma's book, here:
      http://mevely317.blogspot.com/2012/06/pretty-babies.html

      Delete
  5. I don't remember Fizzies. But I remember Lick'em Aid (not sure if that was how it was spelled) that came in straws. We discovered you could make a very similar powder with a package of unsweeteened Kool-Aid (the only kind they had back in the 50s) mixed with a tiny bit of sugar.

    They never seemed to worry about healthy foods. When the TV dinners and the "fast" foods came out everybody wanted them. Some of these ads are really icky now--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weeny Witch. How she's gripping the broom, the little round objects girding the plate, the kids' expressions. Jon, there's just so much wrong with that advertisement. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Fizzies, and they were disgusting. Bubbling sugar, artificial flavors, and chemicals. Yum, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never was much into parties, but I'd go to one (ad # 4) with that sexy pirate :-)

    ReplyDelete